Garage diy tools organisation tips

Garage diy tools organisation tips

Garage diy tools organisation tips

London Bridge today is not the same London Bridge that crossed the River Thames when it was first built. Peter, the priest and chapel of St. Mary's of Colechurch, began to found the original bridge in 1176 to replace a wooden bridge (expensive to maintain and repeatedly burn down) which was first built by the Romans. The original London bridge was consulted by nineteen pointed arches, each with an average tension of 7 meters, and built on 6-meter-wide bridges. A twenty-one opening in the bridge was spanned by a wooden bridge. With the building of this bridge, a remarkable effect was discovered - the tide broke through the narrow arches every day with great force; In fact, it was so dramatically affected that it created occasional 5-foot highs every day when it went in and out. A new sport based on this dirty effect was to "shoot the bridge" - slide through the arches in a small boat when the tide twisted.

Peter of Colechurch died in 1205, and his work was completed by three other London citizens at 1209. The bridge, which was already quite narrow for its function, became even narrower (about 4 meters wide) when shops and homes were built along both sides of the road directly on the bridge At 1358, 138 places of business were registered in the tax rolls. And like most older London buildings, the shops were built so that the upper floors stretched across the road. Finally, the bridge became more like a long tunnel located with shops, through which travelers and others fled. One can only imagine the smell, with the protected road, no real drain, and lots of horses and people! The houses were built so that they exceeded the water as well as the road and were anchored by connecting them across the street with arches of strong wood. In 1580 waterworks were added to the general chaos of the bridge.

The bridge was not just a home and a business, it was a defensive structure. More than once, its bridge was raised and the men were boiled under their strong tower to repulse invaders or rebels, and built the wooden houses on the bridge with some risk. Until the Scottish restoration, the bridge was often decorated by the head, quarters or body parts of the executioner who would put on the screen afterwards. As late as 1598, a German traveler counts over thirty heads.

But having so much on the bridge itself became dangerous indeed for residents and travelers. Only three years after it was first completed, a great fire destroyed its buildings and, despite 3000 people, killed it from one end of the bridge to the other, and struck fire-extinguishing crowds between the flames. The houses were built quickly - and in 1282, five of the bridge arches collapsed with the weight of winter. But they were also built along with their necessary buildings, and the bridge continued as London's only crossing of the River Thames until 1750 when Westminster Bridge opened.

At about this time, the Westminster Bridge designer was hired to repair and renovate the London Bridge. Redesign and repair was considered necessary by the narrowness of the road, the bridge's great support (which took up about a quarter of the river's width) and the dangerous sport of shooting the bridge and other health hazards that were at the bridge. By 1762 the nature of the bridge was changed: all houses were gone, the road was 14 meters wide and the two central arches were replaced by a large arch, which made much easier passage for larger boats.

Unfortunately, this central arc proved difficult to maintain, and in the early 19th century a second bridge was built a few meters away. The original London Bridge was demolished in 1832. The new bridge is called Rennie Bridge. Designed by George Rennie and constructed by John Rennie, it consisted of only five arches, with the central tip reaching 46 meters. The Rennie London Bridge had a very odd end. It lasted for 140 years. Between 1968 and 1971, it was dismantled and sent across the Atlantic to the United States, where it was rebuilt in Havasu City, where it still stands, crossing Lake Havasu, 255 kilometers south of the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River. To see London Bridge, Londoners must fly ten thousand miles!

The current London Bridge is a modern prestressed concrete with a central span of 104 meters.

Copyright 2005 S Wander